A while back we discussed tweaking travel to make Atlas more fun. I wanted to provide an update to let you all know that Flying Primarchs will be coming in v4.15 (very shortly after v4.10 which we’re wrapping up!). Perhaps equally exciting, @pgEcho has arranged for Alliances to debut at the same time! I know players have been clamoring for this for some time, so I’m excited to see what you all do with it.
Disclaimer: Plans are always subject to change based on feedback, etc.
Teams will be able to form alliances of up to 5-10 teams for starters. It would be hard to reduce this later (forcing large alliances to split up), so we want to be a bit conservative here. That said, please weigh in below with what cap size you’d advocate for and why.
- Allies can move through one another’s territory as if it was there own.
- Free passage will be designated on a team level. No more hassle of managing it on a per-fort basis.
- Allies share a color on the map.
- Members cannot attack one another.
- The team which creates the alliance is the Alliance Leader (much like the player who forms a team is the team leader).
- Each team can be in no more than one alliance.
- Each alliance member will have an additional group chat for their alliance.
Flying Primarchs aka Travel Updates
- Facilitate Fighting - travel should not excessively hamper engaging in combat
- Friendlier (especially for new Atlas players) - travel should be easy (avoid accidentally getting trapped in enemy territory)
- Retain map-based travel / navigation - an interesting class of strategies emerge from navigating the map
Tweaked Travel Mechanics
- Primarchs may fly directly to any destination which is connected to its current location by an unbroken series of friendly hops.
- Keep team portals (for now) but remove the random event portals
- Speedup travel (max 10min from corner-to-corner)
- Canceling or changing your movement is no longer permitted. An optional new confirmation step will be available (e.g., Are you sure you want to move your Fighter to X? This trip will take 10min.).
- Once you takeoff you will get to your destination at the promised time even if map conditions change during your short flight).