Apple forces devs to REVEAL Loot Box odds

3.1.1 In-App Purchase:

1. If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase. Apps may use in-app purchase currencies to enable customers to “tip” digital content providers in the app. Apps and their metadata may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than in-app purchase.
  2. Any credits or in-game currencies purchased via in-app purchase may not expire, and you should make sure you have a restore mechanism for any restorable in-app purchases.
  3. Remember to assign the correct purchasability type or your app will be rejected.
  4. Apps should not directly or indirectly enable gifting of in-app purchase content, features, or consumable items to others.
  5. Apps distributed via the Mac App Store may host plug-ins or extensions that are enabled with mechanisms other than the App Store.
  6. Apps offering “loot boxes” or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase.
    https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#in-app-purchase
9 Likes

They already do this.

I read something about a “snowball’s chance in Hell”

Interesting. Also the part about not gifting to others.

Not the first time something like this was posted, curious how this one will end :popcorn:

1 Like

I think chest contents are disclosed by players a lot more and a lot clearer here than from the Devs or PG alike. But for this one they can reveal it and not change anything and we can still do nothing about it like it is now.

Community best guesses of the odds, isnt like getting an actual breakdown of the odds, and the odds related to each event. having apple actually pipe up and say its time to show the cards is a fairly big deal in my opinion. @PGJared @PGDave

3 Likes

I agree, this is pretty huge. Especially since I’m pretty sure PG changes those odds frequently…

They may get away with it by having the boxes you buy for dollars in the store have clear fixed contents (rubies and other stuff you can see). The gold chests you get from playing the game or investing sigils and rubies (which may be dollar-bought, but may also be game earned) might be just far enough removed from the Apple-store to dodge the disclosure requirement.

That said, it would be great if PG did decide to disclose the exact drop rates for various items. I for one would be more likely to spend on them if I can calculate how much I’m likely to need to achieve a certain goal. With the uncertainty we have now I will certainly not spend money on getting chests, and just stick with my expert account.

1 Like

Content is also being changed. For example, timers tokens etc weren’t dropping at current amounts at the same rarity a while ago, whether it’s a year or many months, can’t remeber the exact length.
Let’s assume the drop rates of items haven’t changed, so everything has been dropping at the same rate all along.

I’m just going to make my point using the random numbers coming to my mind. It is not an accurate representation of how drops were but it should get the idea across.

When you get 20x 12 hour timers in a legendary drop, you get 20x 12 hour speed ups for that drop. Currently, our legendary 12 hour speed up drop is 15x, I think. It’s been decreased than before.

So for a certain number of rubies spent, I get the same rate for each item type all along, but I don’t get the same items all along. I think that also comes into play when we asked for the rate.

Otherwise tomorrow legendary 12 hour speed up drop can be 2x timers and epic at 1 timer, and as long as the relative drop rates to other items remains stable, it’ll look still okay under the “odds” argument.

I understand this post is rather about the transparency, but imo this is also relevant in talking about OP. Because in the end, all we want is to spend a little bit less to have less resentment when spending/playing, and NOT accumulate a TON of things we don’t need.

7 Likes

Yeah… what happened with Gifting?

Interesting post. Now wondering how will pg respond

I heard people were abusing it and making a profit with exchange rates amongst the different currencies. Enterprising but against TOS.

There are a lot of internal discussions going on around this, as well as discussions between us and Apple. The short and long of it is that we want to make sure information is being presented in a way that is beneficial for players. As soon as we have more information we’ll update via our normal channels.

14 Likes

Dont want to be crude here. But all i see is “We are in some shit we need to disclose how bad the odds or chances are and the players can see how we have been scamming them for years.”

6 Likes

I don’t THINK it is as bad as it was but idk maybe I paid attention more or less

But around 5-7 months ago it really seemed like the 25 1 Hr timers and especially the tower boosts & Dragon boosts droppped at a ridiculous rate… Most times I would get multiple 1 hr timer drops or 5-6 of the chests would be nothing but dragon boosts and tower boosts
I stopped buying golds for awhile because I really never got anything worth while (Just used for egg token missions)

I don’t know I could be wrong but they do seem to be slightly better as of lately the last 1-2 months maybe longer
Especially with Sigils & getting less tower boosts

When do you have to have it done by?@pgjared

1 Like

Look guys, every time a complaint ismade the drop rate is blamed. Every time something doesn’t work right, its your phone/tablet/device. The devs of this game aren’t doing anything right.

They are rude and disrespectful. Makes you wonder how this game got this big when some of them are unethical in their behaviour. If they wish to make money thats great. Fix the game and remove Atlas or get a bigger server to handle it and let it be a damn choice.

3 Likes

@Panda I saw your other topic and thought I’d flag you here too.

Thanks, @PGJared just for the sake of curiosity, what would a way that would NOT be beneficial to players to know this, I honestly cannot think of any.

3 Likes

Something that looks like the fine print of a credit card agreement? I imagine for large development companies this is the way their lawyers will want to go. Until some regulatory body decides to implement something like the “Truth-in-lending” crap, which really ended up just being more confusing… But that’s off-topic and for financial forums :joy:

1 Like

Wanna know the solution? Give good drops and nobody complains.

8 Likes