In this post we continue to share our latest thinking on how to improve Atlas in the first chunk of this year. We have been working with Early Birds as well as carefully reading feedback shared on these forums and have concluded that stagnation is the primary issue to tackle, and that it largely arises from:
- Motivation to Fight - Atlas prizes don’t motivate / justify serious conflict
Accessibility - it’s hard to attack some enemies
- Castle Accessibility - many castles are many hops deep; this makes them too difficult to attack
- Player Accessibility - players can attack with impunity; it’s hard to take revenge
- Note: Currently, nearly impossible-to-counter sniping is a necessity for many less strong players. With better mechanics, it should no longer be a necessity.
- Mega Alliances - teams far beyond the scale of 5TAs collaborate in massive blocs, sometimes under coercion. This curtails the opportunity for enjoyable combat between closely matched adversaries.
This proposal seeks to comprehensively tackle stagnation via:
- Competitiveness - high-stakes, close-matched fights should be far more rewarding than swaps
Map Redesign - shuffle castles to new positions and cluster each team’s castles together
- Layout - castles should not be impossible to get to (greatly reduce max castle depth)
- Sharding - split Atlas into independent worlds (with comparably strong teams populating each)
- Conflict Refocus - the current conflict mechanics foster too many degenerate cases; it needs a rework