Beginner Base Building (Level 100)

This is a continuation of my first base building guide with some more pointers relevant to level 100. If you’re unfamiliar with my first post, it can be found here Beginner Base Building (Levels 1-35)

So now you’re level 100, congratulations! A lot has happened in the 65 levels since my last post. You now have all of your towers unlocked and probably have your layout decided on.

Before we go on:

• If your base is longer than 10 main attack towers, shorten it now!
    • Build up, not out!
  • You can work up to a longer base, but for now short is much better.
  • Merging/ transforming towers will hurt you a lot less now than they will if you wait, do it now!
  • If you have any ballistas- get rid of them now- you’ll thank me later.

Now what should your layout look like now?

• I recommend placing your main island on islands 4-5 and your farms on 1-2
    • Why? This allows for a rage drain on 6 as well as the potential to add an additional 5 towers on 6 in the future
      (Read the comments to see suggestions about placing towers on islands 1-3)

• You should have 2-3 mages on your main island, I strongly discourage any more or less.
    • Less means attacking dragons are going to have no rage issues and be able to fly through your base.
    • More means you won’t have enough firepower to shoot down attacking dragons.
  • You should not have all flaks (I would recommend 2-3)
    • You probably see a lot of big bases with mostly flaks, while that may seem ideal, you will not have the elemental embers to keep those up to date
  • I would advise having at least one tower that provides a shield, either an earth flak or storm tower.
    • However, you probably won’t have the resources for an earth flak at this point in time
  • What about your last 3-4 towers?
    • This is up to you… mostly
    • Personally, I recommend 3 lightning towers and a Howi
    • At this point in time you’ll probably want to pick either a Drakul Pylon or a Howi, trying to juggle both is going to require a lot of electron bars that will be hard to gather
      • Pssst if you put a howi directly behind a mage it makes it harder to hit because mages have a larger hit radius
    • Some people go for cannon, archer, and treb towers as very few, if any, dragons have resists against those towers in upper tiers

Here’s my main base layout for an example:

Ideally I’d like to replace my storm tower with an earth flak, I’m working up to it.

6 Likes

I thought it was kill island on 3, less strong towers on 2, Howi in the middle of 1, and farms and mills surrounding it. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

I have seen some people do that, personally I’ve never liked that way, it’s certainly an option. If you could elaborate on why you like it that way, I’ll add it into the post.

3 Likes

Usually takes more time to get to 70% on island 3. For early levels i think is preferable to have it on three.

3 Likes

I use islands 1, 2, and 3 because several people have told me that I need to reach endgame before I can use the layout that you showed.

1 Like

That isn’t true.
I recommend long kills as they are harder to beat.
Defended or not I can kill a short kill blind folded.
Defended-or not I struggle on good long kill layouts.

6 Likes

You kill more dragons on a long kill vs, a short kill.

4 Likes

I have a middle long base on my level 132 mini too and it’s pretty effective, much more so than short bases tend to be. Modern dragons are too effective at taking out a few towers fast in my experience, to make a short really effective at killing dragons.

8 Likes

I have seen some people do a reverse layout, with their kill on 1&2, and farms/mills out front. I can see it may have some time advantage for Atlas, but also only allows one set of building runes.

2 Likes

The other thing is, farms provide maybe 20%+ of the base there so it speeds up counter sniping a lot.

1 Like

At low levels the HP of farms should be much more than towers. So putting them out front is a really bad idea. For example at level 100 you might have level 31 towers and level 46 farms. So 640k HP for a DF, and 3.8M HP for a farm.

Many wars used to be won just keeping your farms alive (at higher levels they have similar HP, so no way near as difficult to destroy).

IF you haven’t started a perch, than going for a long middle base is probably the best way to go (as long as you keep your front 5 towers maxed). Otherwise a short kill is better until you get to level 300ish, but as was said earlier there are many dragons which can demolish short bases in no time.

5 Likes

Not really, since you won’t have the garnet builder hut eggs for that farm level anywhere near level 100. But your general point is correct, at low level maxed farms make up a much larger percentage of the overall base.

5 Likes

I was lazy and just lifted the data from there the “Base Development” page on your site. I always assumed it took into account the ‘realistic’ builders hut eggs, but never checked.

1 Like

Ah fair enough, no it doesn’t do that I’m afraid since it’s so rarely a limiting factor, only for low level farms really.

1 Like

:eyes:

3 Likes

Also, RE: micro base setup (1, 2 & 3) versus mid long (4 and 5)

There was a time when micro bases were all you’d see because they were extremely effective, but with the evolving dragons and meta, it has now shifted to mid long being far more effective (you also get more rune/glyph spots to boost your towers)

4 Likes

I was thinking of you while writing that part :hugs:

3 Likes

I prefer the middle long kill rather than island 3/2/1.
Even having L1 mages or storm/Ef or ice flak gives the passive/ss full bonus of those towers… ie level 1 red mage still blocks red spells and drains same rage off dragons. L1 storm still shields towers same as max. Of course they are easier to kill but they may provide enough benefit for your other towers to knock those dragons out of the sky.
You’ll only have 5 towers maxxed for a long time- I’m L460 and just had to max a 7th tower last fort. The back 5 (prob with a howi though) can be towers that help protect your base and eventually you can work on them.
If you have low level towers island 2 after an island 3 kill island, these towers will pretty much do nothing.
I’m much happier attacking a short kill than a long one.

2 Likes

That was before PG released Howitzers, which normalized making bases longer, regardless of level (although many still recommend extending around level 300), due to the extensive range of it (this also made lightning towers more useful than they already were before). Had that not happened, it would still be recommended to use the first three islands until endgame.

3 Likes

But ballistas are OP :pleading_face: (if you’re new to the game, don’t take this seriously. They’re trash, so trash them :slightly_smiling_face:)

I’ve found earth flaks to be better than storm towers essentially because with a storm tower, you almost always have to be there to physically tap it, but with an earth flak, it’s shield activates automatically when the neighboring towers’ health gets low. Ever since I figured that out, I got rid of all my storm towers :joy:

1 Like