Dear Abby, my ex-husband sent me a Facebook friend request and I accepted! 😳

Umm … what should I do now? :eyes:

Well, you could at least “unfollow” them and hide things…

Best would be direct and say “I accepted by mistake”, “I hope all is well, I will unfriend, no offense”.

My 2 cents

How to accomplish (mobile)

1. In the Facebook app, first go to the friend’s timeline. Click the “Friends” button and you’ll see the following choices appear: Unfriend, Unfollow, or Edit Friends Lists. Click “ Unfollow ”.

Unfollow a friend on Facebook mobile app

You should no longer see this friend’s updates on your News Feed. You can still see their updates if you visit their profile/timeline page. This is a change from the previous instructions where you could pick and choose the types of updates you wanted to see. Sadly it is now all or nothing.

Now that you have limited what you’ll see about this person, go ahead and limit what they’ll see about you.

1. Click on the “Friends” button again. This time choose “ Edit Friend Lists ”.

Edit Friend Lists on Facebook mobile app Add friend to Restricted list on Facebook mobile

1. You’ll see some possible lists – I have several custom lists, your screen might look a bit different. Scroll down and select “ Restricted ”.

2. If this person was in another list, select that list to un-check and remove them from the list.

Now test your new settings. Go to your profile, click the little gear button and choose “View as”. Then enter that person’s name to get a sense of what your now-Restricted friend will see about you. (Learn more about Viewing your Facebook Timeline as someone else)

Is this fool-proof?

No. There are a few other settings that could expose some of your information to the friend you are trying to ditch.

For example, if you have a mutual friend in common, and that mutual friend tags you both, then your friend might see that you’ve been tagged.

Or, if you and your “frenemy” both follow a public page on Facebook like…uh…good example here….okay let’s say you both follow that Star Trek guy George Takei, and you click “Like” on George’s funny picture, then your friend could potentially see that you’ve liked it. That’s because she is also a fan of George and George’s post are available to “Everyone”.

So while there is no guarantee of total erasure of this person from your Facebook life, this is about as close as you can come to unfriending or blocking a person.

4 Likes

I vote for this

4 Likes

Done. Don’t need the complication right now. Thank you :+1:t3:

4 Likes

@moderators, please close :slight_smile:

Got you covered Sam :laughing: Just happened to be lurking here when you tagged us mods :eyes:

2 Likes