Dear Parents - Fantasy Book Suggestions?

Looking for fantasy (or sci fi) books that I can read with my kids. Kindergarten and 2nd grade respectively.

If I recall, the first Harry Potter was child friendly? But most fantasy novels that I remember enjoying are at least young adult.

Just looking for kid friendly suggestions. Thanks.

1 Like

Neil Gaiman - Coraline
Neil Gaiman - Fortunately The Milk

2 Likes

A Song of Ice and Fire, mess them up early :rofl:

3 Likes

I think I remember one called fifty shades of grey…

A Wrinkle in Time – Madeleine L’Engle
^^ love this one, there’s a cool movie made off of it too that you can watch after reading :sunglasses:

1 Like

I LOVED The KingKiller Chronicle series :heart: Unfortunately it’s not yet complete, but very worth a read! And from what I remember, it seemed friendly enough

First installment: The Name of The Wind
Second installment: The Wise Man’s Fear

1 Like

My daughter loved The Hobbit at that age

2 Likes

“The Unwanteds” by Lisa McMann (sort of like Harry Potter, but not at the same time)
“The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” by CS Lewis
I don’t know a lot of younger fantasy books sadly, I mostly read young adult and up. :joy:

omg yes, i’ve been waiting for book 3 for years

1 Like

Some have been waiting for 10 :sob: Glad I’m not one of those people

For kids, I recommend Knights of Emerald by Anne Robillard. I read them with my 6 year old daughter and she really enjoys them

Eragon saga by Cristopher Paolini. Great saga with Saphira as main charater

3 Likes

Neverending Story as well

isnt it called the inheritance cycle?
this series is really good though

also the Golden Compass, Wings of Fire, Warriors (by Erin Hunter), and Percy Jackson

I’m not a parent but Reading Rainbow has good suggestions for things lol. Also my parents hooked me up with Illustrated Classics when I was little, and that’s how I know a lot of the plot/characters of major works. My dad would read me the complete series of Wizard of Oz too.

As a Child (2nd grade) I loved to hear the stories of Roverandom & The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien) and Harry Potter. But there are so many good books - can’t remember them all :joy:
The little Prince is also a good choice, there are so much important things in it.

The Wizard of Oz books are a long series very much meant for those ages, and easy for them to help read.

Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland is a cool dragon-based series maybe for slightly younger kids than Harry Potter. I don’t think she puts a memorable image or sentence together as well as Rowling, but her characters are better people (dragons). Like Potter it gets a bit darker in later books with stories of some real hardship and cruelty.

Edit: the moomin books (stories, not the comic!) by tove jansson.

2 Likes

I second the Wizard of Oz. I read several of the books as a kid and have very fond memories.

1 Like

READDIDNNGGG RAINBOWWWWW god that gave me PTSD as a kid :rofl:

3 book series that I personally really enjoy but are ment for older kids is The Viking Quest series, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Wings of Fire.

2 Likes

Keepers of the Lost Cities (first few books were good but the series kind of slowly degenerated)
any books by Rick Riordan (like Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Trials of Apollo, etc)
Dragon Pearl (Korean mythology i think) and the Stormrunner (Mayan mythology)
Renegades by Marissa Meyer
Infinity Son by Adam Silvera
Fablehave by Brandon Mull (all 5 books in this series are pretty good imo)
The Unwanteds
Temeraire
Crown of Feathers
Wicked Fox
Spirit Animals

1 Like