Okay taking the time to think and explore more while seeing the exact buffs for my base (armor dependant) here are my thoughts. Keep in mind that these are not fully 100% tested and are simply my main thoughts on what the best course of action to take on these new perches is since ive had TONS of people asking me for it.
I think it really depends on several factors:
- If you have Atlas
- If you have a perch rider vs offense riders
- What rarity your gear is (and what overall % it will give)
- Which perch(s) you have already built
Taking all that generically into account in the back of your mind you should start going down the list in this order:
Option 1: If you don't have Atlas
If you don’t have Atlas, don’t change a damn thing. The +15% health buff or supershot bonus is NOT worth leaving a war anchor. Forget about perch buffs and keep focusing on your main towers for now until you hit Atlas for a while, get a decent rider and rider gear (several months in) and then start to think about this again.
Option 2: You are L350+
If you are L350+ (ish) and have your middle long full of L60 towers (L63 now but whatever) plus are building/have already built an additional 5 towers up that are replacing your rage drain island, then you SHOULD build a riverwatch perch. You are obviously a spender, you obviously have the black pearls available, and you obviously have some gear in Atlas. Equip your good gear and rider to the riverwatch perch and enjoy the big defense boost PG has given you.
Option 3: Have Atlas/rider/gear, Riverwatch Perch/pearls & are following my base guide
If you have a Riverwatch perch already built or if you have the black pearls available to build one of L11 or higher (L30 preferred, but can be taken into account further below), have access to Atlas, already have a defense rider hired, and have started crafting gear for him, then leave the base the exact same as my base guide describes, and simply equip your Riverwatch perch with a dragon and rider with good gear. (good definition below).
If you have built your base fairly well and with a rage drain, you will still be able to steal 4 rage from the lead dragon unless special circumstances appear (aibrean, add on spells, etc). The war anchor in this case will leave the backer with a bit of starting rage, and to offset the dragon having rage, you will need to ensure that your storm tower has enough health and your dark flak has the stun ability to stop the dragon while your second round of mages take his rage away before he can do some serious damage. For this health increase and stun ability i’d recommend a sorcerer dragon (15% longer stun and shield times) over a warrior (15% health) due to the fact that the supershots will also do more damage at the same time. You will be using ALL of your supershots on your best 5 towers, so it’s better than increasing the health on your weak rear towers.
- The lower level the perch, the better your gear should be. Aim for +20% attack and +20% HP (including the debuff from lower level perch if required) to balance out taking the hit on leaving a war anchor. This will get you 2 levels on every tower you have. Keep in mind this isn’t a calculated number, it’s more of a gut figure since there isn’t really a tangible way to calculate this out with as many factors as we have in the game.
- L11 perch is total 4000 black pearls, L30 is 14,000, make sure you have enough before you start building.
- This is easier/better to build this perch at a higher player level so that you don’t gain too many levels from building a perch. The lower level you are, the more substantial a hit your top towers are going to take, and your gear is going to have to make up the difference until these levels start to be rather insignificant. For every 1 level that all your top 5 towers suffer, add an additional +10%/+10% onto the gear requirements for considering this option. Perch will add ~2 levels if you are between L197-299 but more if you are in the 150+ range, and even more if you are lower than this.
- You want a legendary dragon to get the extra buffs that it has, that is the reason for L11 perch minimum.
- You don’t have any costs associated with relocating runes now or in the future which is nice.
Option 4: Have Atlas/rider/gear, Seagazer Perch only
If you don’t have the pearls required for a riverwatch perch but you already have a seagazer perch, the only way to obtain bonuses is by shrinking your base to a micro style base. Splitting up your best 5 (two mages and three others) on the short to get the immediate effects is the best bang for your buck here, with the rest of your towers on the long home island.
I’m really not 100% convinced of the arrangement (farms first, or second, or half and half) but that is going to be explored a bit more for those stuck with this option.
The only thing i would recommend you doing is adding a single low level blue mage at the very back of the long middle island (towards seagazer perch side, away from riverwatch). This will let defenders get into your base and apply supershots more easily before network connections completely screw your war defense. Blue so that the attackers can’t cloak over it, or they will have to use their add on spell slot for a red lockdown spell (they can’t add anything else now). While this is just a time buyer, i think it warrants use on these micro bases far more then a plethora of red and blue towers that a dragon can easily kill before getting hit by them. Remember rage drains NEVER work on long islands, only on short ones.
- Warrior boost WILL help your farms also in this case so it certainly is acceptable to put a warrior on the perch in this situation. The health will help, and you can shield and stun immediately on the short island preventing too much damage from being done to your towers when hammer spamming as the dragon is coming out of the stun.
- Gear requirements aren’t too high for this one since your perch can be as high a level as you would like in this case and will be left as a war lead anyways. Eventually you may want to build a riverwatch perch and move back to the middle long as in the example above, but it’s up to you to decide and save your pearls for.
Option 5: No atlas/gear/rider/pearls
The only reason i guess NOT to have a perch is if you don’t have any black pearls at all and no current perches. If you can’t obtain a L11 perch and get some gear from Atlas on it, just stick with the standard base layout as described in my guide.
This may end up being some type of addendum to my guide at some point, but i don’t have time to do all the full data pulls for the gear and finding what the best/cheapest combination of gear it so i’m leaving it fairly generic. I’m also going to be testing out a few of these layout styles in coming wars with mine and my teammates bases so look forward to some follow up on these issues and what ACTUALLY happens. Right now these are my thoughts and theories, we shall see them in action soon enough.