Mergers, what makes them work?

In my opinion i’ve Never seen a merger work out,
So I’m curious to what everyone else thinks?

1 Like

Too many egos.

It’s never a merger, it’s an acquisition. One party always wins out because there is only one leader so the other leader needs to step down from the top position.

Everyone has different ideas of how a team should be run and unless the rules are sorted out and agreed very robustly prior to the “merger” the new team will haemorrhage unhappy players

13 Likes

We had a merger that worked out great. I stepped down as leader. The most important part is you gotta respect the new leader and back him up even when you might disagree. You chose him to lead because you thought he’d be perfect for your team. So let him lead. :+1:t3:

12 Likes

complete Communication, clear expectations set, understanding that it won’t be perfect immediately. I’ve had a great merger. If you don’t have these things it probably won’t go well.

2 Likes

Perfect example of setting your ego aside. You’re a leader in all but title

8 Likes

As well as when you merge you get the most serious active players that actually do events, atlas events, war runs, and team quest. Then you get rid of the slackers or leeches that don’t do anything that still benefit from the team hard work and efforts.

3 Likes

I’ve seen mergers where combining the 25 best of both teams didn’t necessarily create a better team than what was before. But that again also depends on what you are looking to get out of the merger.

Most mergers fail due lack of clear communication and rushed decissions.

2 Likes

Planning, buy in, vetting, planning, buy in

2 Likes

Buy in?

Buy in = Acceptance, people buying into an idea or philosophy

5 Likes

Ahhh, thanks👐

1 Like

No matter how good the planning and the vetting, if the players don’t buy into the concept, it won’t work. If they do, it can.

4 Likes

Though good things can come from failed mergers. I’m on @Warlord’s team thanks to one, which is the best team I’ve been privileged to be part of :heart:

2 Likes

We have experienced some bad mergers as well. We brought groups in, a couple of people weren’t happy so they left and the rest followed. That happened a couple of times. About a half dozen of us that have played together for so long (mostly officers) abandoned our team. We eventually found @OrcaFrost 's “new” team and joined to help build. We’re part of a great team and very happy with our decision! Like @LizDrakemoor , we found a great home. :smiley: :grin::+1:

Although, with me… Orca may have 2nd thoughts from time to time, :see_no_evil::rofl::joy::+1:

In order for any “blended” or merged team to be successful, there cannot be any of the “Us” and “Them” scenarios. That’s where the previously mentioned “Buy-in” comes into play. Without it, you’re doomed. You must have a single TEAM of 50 players working together… NOT just a group of 50 individuals doing their own thing. That includes rogue “cells” bonding together and doing their own thing. Team cohesion is crucial to its success. From the moment anyone joins the team, they all become one of “Us” and the Team as a whole benefits from it.

5 Likes

This right here. Trying to run things military style and put pressure on everyone is a sure fire way to kill a merger. One leader does need to step down and realize they’re not in charge anymore but the other one needs to realize that they cant be the unquestionable overlord. At that point you’re basically asking for the people who merged in to get sick of you and leave.

I also think trying to rush things sets up both teams to fail. The team just went through a pretty big change, take it slow and worry about things one at a time. It’s a team, not your private army. If Atlas has to take a bit of a back seat then let it and then work on that once things have settled down.

To me a merger should be about taking two struggling teams and making one stable one. Not taking two strong teams and making one uber one because then you’ve got 50 other people who just get brushed aside.

I actually really wish the game had an official merger function where both teams agree on the members that will merge, which team they’re going to and then both have to click accept and then it would move those members over and allow you to rename the team and transfer any castles over.

These are the worst. And while I am much happier now on Warlord’s team than I would have been if I remained on the team I was on before, I was one of the 50 who “got brushed aside.” I’m still kinda resentful about that. Especially since team leadership absolutely sucked about notifying people what was going on :unamused:

2 Likes

Pretty much sums it up. That said, mergers can, and do work out, but you have to find the right people/team, and make sure all expectations are clear. I’ve seen some pretty awful outcomes when people rushed into a merger after a “YOLO” conversation that took all of 2 minutes. But, have also experienced fantastic results from a merger.

Story time!

Once upon a time, Moon was on a team that struggled through many trials and tribulations, over the course of which the team picked up a bunch of vampires. Vampires, as we all know, make terrible teammates. The leader bailed, and Moon was left in charge. She spent forever and a day looking for a merger, but every opportunity felt…off. There were a lot of would-be dictators running around, and she was often dismayed at how few people seemed to be considering the team more than themselves in her talks with potential merge candidates.

Moon did not need to stay leader (if she was so great, she wouldn’t need a merger, now would she?!); she was of the opinion that, executive functions aside, good leadership was a group effort, and the most important thing was a strong officer corps (which included the person unlucky enough to have the title of “Leader.”). Therefore, she wasn’t particularly interested in anyone who insisted they become Supreme Leader For All Time. Finally, she found a team led by a sane, competent, and fun person, and a rather successful merger went off. She had no problem handing leadership off to the sucker victim person who would bear the title post merge.

As time went on though, a cult formed within the team, composed of some players from one side of the merger. After some explosive drama that included witches and mutiny, the cult, composed of those that maintained an us/them mentality, ran off to join another commune. More non-vampire teammates were found to replace the cult, and the team, now truly a single team, grew much stronger. The team gave the person bearing the leadership position the title of “Tyrant” and everyone lived happily ever after. The end.

TL;DR: Vet your merge candidates like you mean business. Once you merge, be one team. None of this “xxxteam players” or “yyyteam” players. No cults allowed.

Brief comment on this:

To be quite frank, it is my option that if someone feels they are “losing out” because they have to step down as leader, I don’t want them as a leader. I think the “There can be only one” leadership mechanic in this game is stupid, and the best leadership, in my experience, comes from a group that works together (and sometimes includes people who don’t want a title).

7 Likes

They definitely can work! We had one work! It depends on the people really…

They have to respect the new leader but I think there is a balance to it! Because if it’s a 7-10+ merger then some of them have been leaders and officers for awhile.
If it’s a power/control thing with the previous leader which is all to common :roll_eyes: then no matter what’s it’s not going to work eventually they will get Tired if not being in control.
Also egos play a big factor! 50 players & 50 different personalities isn’t always easy to
manage :joy:

But if the new players are ok with playing different roles and do not have huge egos and the team that took in the merger finds a good balance and roles for the new members it can be a great thing!

I know we did a merger awhile back, one decent size one over 6 months ago and the other, a smaller one several months back and they both worked out a amazing!
Couldn’t have gone any better! We have actually had to move on from some of the players from the first merger and the leader on the 2nd merger for activity reasons and team contribution but even though some was replaced and one of the leader was too the other players remained because they have really bought into the team and put the team first. I think it’s important the team isn’t divided and they don’t look at themselves as groups within a team but instead it’s one team and they know it’s their team so whatever happens they’ll still be there for the team.

But yeah I’d say 70% of them probably don’t work out and eventually part ways but some do work and it takes that team to a different level.
But the ones that don’t work can actually destroy the team depending on the size of the merger and the core of the original team.
So you really have to weigh the risk vs rewards before moving forward with the merger.

1 Like

Always fun when your team leader is all “we want to make you an officer!”

And then you’re all “why would you do that to me~! :sob:

People who want to be officers are crazy. Being in leadership takes so much time :see_no_evil:

11 Likes

Thanks for all the responses everyone🥰

1 Like