I would basically like to have a bit of a discussion on the obsidian warrior Girasol, and by extension Hedran, as they share a similar spell (except Hedran is actually better than his Mythic big brother, due to the fact that his little platinum spell Seething spark, outperforms the obsidian spell Isolation in every aspect.
As previously discussed the elements that make a warrior useful (summarized)
Needs a dps spike ability that allows it to kill a tower FAST. Even while defended. MOre importantly it needs to be useable when mage towers are around.
It needs a survivability mechanic (shield of some sorts / tower debuff) which is useable when mage towers are around.
it needs a heal of some sorts (ideally)
Needs a rage regen of sorts. (bonus)
Lets look at two warriors that were “great” for example:
- Had spellflux - instantly killed a mage tower, and damaged the surrounds
- Had Heatshield - excellent shield which reduced incoming damage, and healed 20%
- See 2
- Good rage regen mechanic (sacrifice - works because of HeatShield)
- No useful resist
- Dreadful roar - not quite a deathgaze, but white, and made towers take more damage, lasted through death, and decreased the damage they did. Very solid.
- No rage mechanic
- Two great resists.
Every warrior that is remotely useful has the majority of these traits.
(Sage - 1.thunder, 2. shield, 3. regen etc)
Now, Obisidian tier is endgame, and as such the flagship dragons (mythic) for these tiers should be useful in endgame.
Endgame means PVP against maxxed bases. See Noctua or Rhyo.
Now, lets look at Girasol
Starburn - At low HP dragon gains increased damage (PASSIVE)
Malefic breath - Gloom clouds on towers (BLUE)
Isolation: Briefly weakens chosen tower and significantly weakens surrounding towers (BLUE)
Dark Flak resist
Starburn is okish… except you have to be dying for it to kick in
Malefic is and was always junk, to make it worse its BLUE so can’t be cast when mages are up
Dark flak resist - solid
This spell is simply broken.
- cannot be cast with blue mage towers around
- costs 2 rage, which means you are usually depleted when said mage tower is dead (if you aren’t dead first)
- If you destroy the tower that you cast it on, the effect ends
- Effect only lasts a few seconds, and during that time you still take significant damage (although less)
So where does this leave our “mythic obsidian warrrior” in the "ideal warrior stakes
- No high dps ability
- Non effective “shield” ability - cannot be cast with mage towers around, doesn’t last through death
- No heal mechanic
- No rage regen
- Nice resist
In fact, if you use hedran on a base run, and NEVER use isolation, but instead use seething spark, you come out ahead by a mile.
Basic xp run using isolation: 25% health left
Basic xp run using seething spark: 75% health left
Why? Spark gives passive damage boost, and when triggered (1+1rage = same as isolation), it disables all towers 100% for duration, instead of just dropping the damage a bit.
Ok so what is the solutions:
- Simplest would just be to fix the isolation spell
- Minimum would be to make it white and last through death. This makes it on par with algor’s breath spell, except it does no damage.
Better would be to change the mechanic, where it destroys the targetted tower, and weakens the ones around it (mix between spell flux and algor’s breath spell)
Fix to Starburn ability - instead of just increasing damage when below 65% health, the “marks” it puts on towers should either regen rage or health in addition. Think northern lights.
I’ll try post some videos over the weekend showing how Girasol and Hedran fair against high level bases, but as a hint Girasol dies horribly against maxxed towers.