Open Letter- A Final Plea- Dont Destroy Atlas

Major Issue #1:
I keep hearing the repeated mantra for Atlas changes that “Atlas is stagnant". I keep objectively trying to find WHERE atlas is stagnant The ONLY logical answer I’ve seen is Diamond. Maybe Some S1 as well. Everywhere else on the map teams s2 and down fight on their castles daily with the exception of teams who inherited nothing but super safe castles. The rest of us, fight daily, often disabled on multiple castles for hours creeping into 24/7 fulltime.

Am I upset about this? No, it’s a part of the game. What I am upset about is that what appears as a small handful of very vocal people are trying to force feed this narrative to the rest of us and what’s worse is PG seems to totally buy into this narrative and is going so far to completely change everything about Atlas Mechanics, despite the vocal and numerous pleas not to, in order to pander to the lazy, entitled players that somehow magically have nothing to do in atlas.

Major Issue #2
Is this the magical gameplay faction that is driving this narrative to PG? And if so why is there zero transparency on who this gameplay faction is comprised of? I suspect (just from what little visibility there has been to who these folks are) that inadvertently the GPF is comprised of an unbalanced selection if players who none of us should feel confident are giving any voice to “the rest of us" who don’t have the luxury of beta release, super deep, untouchable castles. When the statements PG repeats about what they’ve been told is “wrong" with the game feels so totally disillusioned and detached from the realities that all the lower Sapphire and Platinum teams are dealing with DAILY I begin to loose all faith that there’s anybody on the GPF that is being the voice for the rest of us and if such a GPF person exists, is your voice just getting drowned out by these people who are seemingly playing an entirely different game that doesn’t involved having to fight all day every day on their castles?
Suggestion #1
Either disband the GPF and listen to the people in forums OR balance your GPF in such a manner that a variety of players in each sub league have as equal of a voice as those in the upper leagues. The landscape of what their gameplay looks like daily is so drastically different. And unfortunately, we cannot forget the elephant in the room here, the game community is largely split into two large megas comprised of a variety of alliances with allegiances to basically 2-3 major Diamond teams. Your GPF needs to be carefully balanced to give equal voice. Even if the end goal is to end up with a solution that ultimately ends mega alliances (and it SHOULD) you cannot negligently ignore the truth that because this dynamic already exists you risk engineering a game that only favors one versus the other.

Suggestion #2
LISTEN TO YOUR PLAYERS IN FORUMS. When this convo all originally started in February, the major frustrations that everybody, regardless mega alliance affiliation, league, etc is outlined below

1. Mega Alliances have too much power and control and in some cases are dictating to smaller teams what they can and cannot hold in Atlas.
  2. Large battles with 50-100 teams. This is resulting in such a low castle turnover.
  3. Because of poor original map design the current map favors legacy large teams who are buried deep behind much smaller teams and any attempt to bubble into them results in #2 mostly bc of #1🙄
  4. There’s not enough decentivization for larger teams to hit smaller ones. Arguably, this continue to occur because of #3 but as has been voiced by MANY,1its often just because they CAN.
  5. Because of 1 & 2 – Sniping has become the primary offensive tactic which PG has admitted is undesired result.

Absolutely NONE of the planned changes will affect any of these things and instead will just lead towards either more imbalance of land ownership, more reliance of Mega alliances and likely BOTH in addition to the fact of making it unrealistically feasible for s2 and below to hold anything worth decent bonus unless they have gained favor of the powers that be.

Proposal #1
A) Institute a mechanic that forbids teams from attacking a team who exceeds a set APR below them or even the APR of the highest team in attackers 5ta (if you wish to encourage teams to group in 5tas with teams of like size and power). Make it such that if attacking a castle due to APR difference is forbidden then the team can automatically bypass the low ranked team’s castle and attack a team behind it if their APR in within the acceptable range.
B) Lock castle battles to only 5ta v 5ta. It’s been argued that groupings of 2-4 5tas make for fun and exciting battles against each other, so if that’s desirable and agreeable then make it such that the “Alliance” mechanic allows for such groupings. But whatever the grouping is determined to be, lock battles down to ONLY allow teams from those official in game alliances to join the battle.
C) Institute a mechanic that penalizes and dissuades teams from temporarily leaving their current alliance and temporarily joining another for the sake of a single battle. Sticky APR restriction (like A) for a period of time will dissuade teams from joining bigger 5tas for an offensive and B already makes it not possible switch for defensive purposes.
These solutions most directly will help actually answer the issues raised about the current state of Atlas without creating an imbalance on the value of owning a castle and the trouble of doing so.

I think the WD community agrees that change is needed. However, I feel the current direction of that change will accomplish nothing but further compounding the issues raised further.

17 Likes

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This gpf paranoia is bizarre and seems to be spreading. My understanding is the gpf advise on core gameplay. Not Atlas. There’s a different player volunteer advisory group for atlas, Early Birds.

The people who make the decisions in all cases are PG staff, who are not shadowy and will gladly demonstrate their cluelessness about their own game any time you can get them to comment here.

28 Likes

ZeroGVN,
Your team is part of Dread and thus everything you just said is strawmanning.

3 Likes

if they want your castle its fair grounds to take it what can you not understand about open map castles are not stuck with sap2 down period i do not know why you think its okay you can have land and someone stronger can not take it if they dont want to! because your APR :roll_eyes:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

5 Likes

Umm, the GPF actually has little to no input on Atlas. Maybe you are thinking of the Earlybirds? That “sekrit” organization has the most direct yet hidden input on Atlas and early on there were efforts to balance the 2 factions as well as leagues. I have no clue how/where it stands now as far as representation.

SOMETHING has to be done about Atlas. Almost everyone agrees on that. PG has said the shuffle is not the final solution. 100% of the teams are never going to agree on exactly what should be done. (Though based on past experience I predict we are ALL in for a very rough ride. Might take them more than the 4 or 5 patches it took to “fix” Dungeons to get Atlas back and stable.)

No. Just no. This would be exploited to no end with low level teams “shielding” the juicy ones. I’m playing a game where the lowbies park and get to own any resource they want and higher level players can’t do a dang thing about it. Period. This is B A D.

Maybe. The “all in” with 60 clans on one castle IS a problem. Not sure if I agree with your exact method though. Some type of limit would be good for the servers and reducing “ants” gumming up a turnover would not be bad.

they have a 25 plus team alliance and they are complaining lol so u hit 1 u have to hit all 25

It’s from the repeated comments from PG where they indicate they have consulted with GPF. It’s not from nowhere.

3 Likes

There are many GPF in AND :roll_eyes: most of the GPF and Creators faction is dread side :roll_eyes: :thinking:

1 Like

I dont think strawmanning is the word u are looking for but I can confirm I am indeed NOT on Dread.

2 Likes

I think you missed the point. Low level teams wouldnt be able to shield the juicy ones because if their rank exceeds the differrence allowed the attacker can bypass the castle and hit the jucier target behind it.

2 Likes

@Prince you contribute nothing of value except to continue to speak mistruths, spread lies and misdirect convos. I’m going to just ignore you for the most part. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

If I were PG, I’d still say no. How many tickets/forum posts would this generate?
“This team bypassed me and and you guys have a bug, go fix it”
“We should be able to hit this team and can’t. Go fix it.”

Not to mention we are now assuming PG’s code will function as intended. Not a great track record on complex formulas translating into real world results that pleases the users.

1 Like

1 Like

Diamond takes all the access castles and no one can get beyond.

Atlas dies

3 Likes

This logic could also be used to dismiss their currently planned changes.

2 Likes

OK. Now I’m really holding back here. Deep Breath…
Have you EVER been on a Diamond team with access castles? NOBODY and I mean nobody wants them. They are glory hole pits of hell and despair. The troop loss is staggering. 5TAs have parted ways just over this very problem. Who has to hold access and how many and which team can afford a 24/7 defense and absorb millions of dead troops per season

2 Likes

they hold them now they just didnt want to be sniped but times have changed as u see even gated t5s being held by diamonds and t4s by sap teams and holding them just fine