Red's Guide to Season Planning

This is a generic guide to use a starting point for your season planning. If you have constructive suggestions or comments, please post away! @MareZ is making me post this on the forums again, so without further ado…

Short/Basic Version

Key Points

• There are three “main” dragons each season - one warrior, one hunter, and one sorcerer. Two are released at the start of the season, the last is revealed later on. This late release dragon changes types each season.
  • There is one final mythic dragon each season. In order to get this dragon, you must complete the three main dragons (all stones) and then claim the final dragon’s stones.
  • There is one bonus dragon that is 50% for the first two weeks of the season. After the cut off date, the dragon becomes full price just like the main dragons.
  • There is an egg token bonus! This doubles your egg token missions, but does not stack with the breeding event double tokens.
  • There is now one or more dragon rider(s) and his/her gear! This rider can be useful for multiple reason, so keep an eye out to see what the best use of this rider may be. For instance, Kayla is really useful without her gear.
  • There is usually something different and unexpected that comes each season (rune/glyph branch, new divine, etc) so keep that in mind.

What to do for most people…

• Double Egg Token Bonus
  • Bonus Dragon for cheap prizes if you know you can finish at least one dragon OR Bonus Dragon if you are interested in finishing it
  • Main dragon OR Rider once they are all released and you can make a choice.
  • Get all Stones if you’re past Sapphire
  • Get 2 stones past your current tier if you’re in Sapphire or below

What to do for people who want the mythic…

• Get each of the two released main dragons and start banking XP
  • Continue down one line at a time
  • Realize getting the token bonus, rider, or discount dragon will cost you more
  • Once the mythic is released, talk to a lot of good fliers to ensure the mythic is worth your time.

Long/Detailed Version

Hello Dragon Community,

I thought I would share a bit of advice (take it or leave it) regarding Dragon Seasons. I see a lot of players doing some odd things or asking questions because they don’t really know what to do. In the spirit of trying to help, I wanted to write up the advice I give my team and friends. Again, this is my opinion and I’m not saying it’s the right way or wrong way.

For each season, there are a few key points we must keep in mind:

• There are three “main” dragons each season - one warrior, one hunter, and one sorcerer. Two are released at the start of the season, the last is revealed later on. This late release dragon changes types each season.
  • There is one final mythic dragon each season. In order to get this dragon, you must complete the three main dragons (all stones) and then claim the final dragon’s stones.
  • There is one bonus dragon that is 50% for the first two weeks of the season. After the cut off date, the dragon becomes full price just like the main dragons.
  • There is an egg token bonus! This doubles your egg token missions, but does not stack with the breeding event double tokens.
  • There is now one or more dragon rider(s) and his/her gear! This rider can be useful for multiple reason, so keep an eye out to see what the best use of this rider may be. For instance, Kayla is really useful without her gear.
  • There is usually something different and unexpected that comes each season (rune/glyph branch, new divine, etc) so keep that in mind.

**For the purpose of this guide, dragon and rider are interchangeable for the most part.

Knowing these key points, we have to remember that there are many different goals and play styles across the game. Heck, a lot of us may even play each season differently depending on our time and desire to obtain the dragons. Thus, I have split my advice into different play styles. Please remember that I am not saying one of these is the best way to play in any way. I am simply trying to help.

“I want to get the final mythic dragon, and I recognize that I will have to spend to achieve this.”

Double Token Boost

• Get that double token prize yo!

Bank XP

• Since you will obtain each of the main dragons, claim along one branch until you obtain the dragon. At this point, move onto the second branch until you obtain the dragon. The reason for this is so that you can start banking XP on these dragons for the entirety of the season. Since the season dragons have the ability to be the highest current tier, they will likely be among most powerful dragons on your roster and thus worth leveling up.
  • Do the same for the third dragon once released.
  • From here, it really depends if you want the final mythic fast (spending more) or want to play the strategical long game and use every sigil well.

Players in Sapphire+ Dragons

“I will complete two lines this season, but will likely have a few leftover sigils. I may spend, but not enough to get the mythic.”

Double Tokens

Wait for all Dragons to be revealed

• I would recommend you save your sigils until the final dragon is released, simply because PG may change some things on the existing dragon.
    *If you’re chill and don’t mind if a dragon is changed a bit in the early stages of the season OR once the the changes have been made - pick one of the two released mainline dragons and and claim along the branch until you obtain the dragon.

Choose another dragon and bank XP

• Ask around what dragon higher level, good fliers are liking after the third is released, and make your decision on what dragon will be your second dragon. Claim that branch up to the dragon itself so you can start banking XP on that dragon.

• Claim prizes along the original dragon branch until you finish, then move to the second branch.

“I will be able to barely complete two lines this season. I may spend a bit or I am exceptionally active.”

Wait for all Dragons to be revealed

• I would recommend you save your sigils until the final dragon is released, simply because PG may change some things on the existing dragon.
  • If you’re chill and don’t mind if a dragon is changed a bit in the early stages of the season OR once the the changes have been made - pick one of the two released mainline dragons and and claim along the branch until you obtain the dragon.

Bank XP

• Claim along the branch until you get the dragon itself so you can start banking XP.

OPTIONAL: Double Tokens

• I strongly suggest everyone do this, but I realize some people may want the dragon stones over the extra tokens. When the third dragon is released, claim the +100% token prize.

Choose another dragon and bank XP

• Ask around what dragon higher level, good fliers are liking after the third is released, and make your decision on what dragon will be your second dragon. Claim that branch up to the dragon itself so you can start banking XP on that dragon.

Claim prizes in a logical order

• Claim prizes along the original dragon branch until you are on the second to last stone (e.g. if the last stone is Emerald, stop once you claim Garnet).
  • Start claiming the second branch until you get to the second to last stone.
  • Pick which dragon you like more, and get the final stone on that dragon. Hopefully you have enough sigils to finish the second dragon.

“I will be able to complete one dragon this season with plenty of leftover sigils, but maybe not enough to get a second dragon to a useful tier.”

Option 1:

Double Tokens

Wait for all Dragons to be revealed and make your choice

• Wait until the third dragon is announced so you can make a well informed decision with all the information at your fingertips. Don’t discount the third dragon just because it may not be a type of dragon you like - maybe it will be badass!
  • Ask around what dragon higher level, good fliers are liking after the third is released, and make your decision.

Save sigils until the end

• Save your tokens until the last event of the season. If you have enough sigils to get another dragon to your tier or better, claim the second dragon. If you do not have enough sigils to get a second dragon to a useful point, claim a line that has the most useful runes to your OR other items.

Option 2:

Get the sale dragon

• Start the season by claiming the bonus dragon until the two week 50% off deal stops (after two weeks).

Double Tokens, continue sale dragon (not to end)

• Once you’ve claimed the sale dragon, claim that token prize!
  • Claim prizes along the bonus dragon branch until you are on the second to last stone (e.g. if the last stone is Obsidian, stop once your claim Emerald) OR until the sale ends.

Make a decision (not to end)

• Make a well informed decision with all the information at your fingertips on which other dragon you would like. Don’t discount the third dragon just because it may not be a type of dragon you like - maybe it will be badass!
  • Ask around what dragon higher level, good fliers are liking after the third is released, and make your decision.
  • Claim prizes along the dragon branch until you are on the second to last stone (e.g. if the last stone is Emerald, stop once your claim Garnet).

Finish Dragons

• Pick which dragon you like more, and get the final stone on that dragon.
  • Hopefully you have enough sigils to finish the second dragon.

“I really want to complete a dragon this season, but I certainly won’t have much to spare.”

Wait for all Dragons to be revealed and make your choice

• Wait until the third dragon is announced so you can make a well informed decision with all the information at your fingertips. Don’t discount the third dragon just because it may not be a type of dragon you like - maybe it will be badass!

Bank XP

• Claim along the branch until you get the dragon itself so you can start banking XP.

OPTIONAL: Save and spend for Double Tokens

• Once you’ve claimed the first dragon, claim the Double Token Bonus.
  • Continue to claim prizes along your first dragon line. I strongly suggest everyone do this, but I realize some people may want the dragon stones over the extra tokens.

Finish Dragon

• Continue to claim the prizes along your dragon’s line until you finish.

Player in Green-Sapphire Dragons

“I really want to get two dragons to a useful level. By the time I am to the final tier, more seasons will be out and I’ll max those instead.”

Option 1:

Wait for all Dragons to be revealed and make your choice.

Bank XP then get that Token Bonus

• Once you’ve claimed the dragon itself, spend your sigils to claim the Double Token Bonus!

Continue to claim prizes

• Continue to claim the prizes along your dragon’s line until you get the stone two tiers past your current tier.

Save Sigils to the End

• Save your tokens until the last event of the season. If you have enough sigils to get another dragon to your tier or better, claim the second dragon. If you do not have enough sigils to get a second dragon to a useful point, claim more prizes on the main branch.

Option 2:
Get the sale dragon

• Start the season by claiming the bonus dragon until the two week 50% off deal stops (after two weeks).

Double Token Bonus, continue sale dragon (not to end)

• Once you’ve claimed the sale dragon, claim the double token bonus!
  • Claim prizes along the bonus dragon branch until you are the stone one tier past your current tier OR until the sale ends.

Make a decision (not to end)

• Make a well informed decision with all the information at your fingertips on which other dragon you would like. Don’t discount the third dragon just because it may not be a type of dragon you like - maybe it will be badass!
  • Claim prizes along the dragon branch until you are on the stone one tier past your current tier.

Finish Dragons

• Pick which dragon you like more, and get the next stone on that dragon.
  • Hopefully you have enough sigils to get the next stone on the other dragon.

FAQs

Why shouldn’t I just get all three dragons to my current stone level?

• Breeding past Sapphire is like hitting a brick wall - it’s slow as hell progression wise compared to the previous tiers. Having dragons that can carry you through the slow tiers will help your roster strength a lot.

Why don’t you address new players who aren’t to Green?

• Speaking from the experiences I have with my friends and my own lower level alt, getting a single dragon past gold is a challenge. Players who can should follow the advice I gave above for the Green-Sapphire.

I am in Sapphire tier right now. Which advice should I follow?

• That’s kind of a breaking point. If you’re very active or spend a bit, follow the Sapphire+. If you’re more casual or busy, follow the Green-Sapphire.

Why do you recommend saving for the token bonus so much?

• This is one of my favorite bonuses as a free-low paying player in the game with my high (325) to mid-level (273 & 166) accounts. Since Sapphire tier is the brick wall, it helps you progress faster. This bonus also rewards players who do their missions actively. If you save for the bonus so you can get it the day it comes out, it give you more time with the bonus.

Why should I wait for all three dragons to be shown? I really only like to fly [insert type of dragon here] anyway.

• It is better to make a decision once you know all the information, in my opinion. Plus, this way PG can make any needed changes and you won’t waste sigils on a dragon you may not like. As someone who loves hunters more than any other class, I have gone for a non-hunter first more than once, and I am currently waiting to see the what the warrior looks like spell wise before I make a decision. A diverse roster is a strong roster.

Why do you think you know what’s best for players? You don’t know me or what I want. Don’t tell me what to do or shove your opinions down my throat.

• Then don’t follow my advice, that’s fine. I am not saying you have to do this or that these are the only ways to go about things. This is just the advice we follow on my team and I wanted to try and help, not to dictate your life. If you came to this thread just to tell me not to tell you what to do, then why did you come here in the first place other than to start some shit? You knew what this was when you clicked it.

4 questions about the best way to do seasons and events
Wintertide dragon advice needed
Event sigil placement
KoTH gold chest drops
Important Threads to find everything you need
Event Dragons? Questions and Answers
Suggestion for increased sigils
Fairness in value packs
Less rune dust and less gold chests in branches but something else was confirmed on livestream

Yay! Great post! Thanks for sharing and your hard work as always!

Thank you! All fixed.

Thanks for the post. :heart_eyes:

References to the dragon’s bonus branch should be removed … I think it was mentioned only once but am not sure.

Think I got them all now, thank you!!

I love it. I always felt the “obsidian stone or bust” mentality was a bit overblown for slow leveling low level players. There is nothing wrong with only getting a few stones ahead. A lot of old season dragons no longer perform like they used to, or are just simply outclassed by new ones.

People still advice go for one dragon one dragon one dragon never thinking about how the other player in context plays. That’s so stupid. Red’s guide clearly points out right direction towards correcting it.

Because this is true if you can’t afford getting more than one at a usable tier. This was true seasons ago when the higher tiers were Sapphire or Garnet. Red in her great knowledge offers us the long version that can be adapted to many gameplay, your experienced teammates and other players gives you the short version. You are free to adapt and make your own trials of course, hoping you never regret anything :grin:

I wish you all good luck for all incoming seasons :wink:

I agree to that part. But as a few I understand that when I am still in green, I don’t want anything above sapphire, and being extremely positive of progress till Garnet. This is considering Garnet wall is worse than Sapphire wall, and probably worst of all walls ahead.
One to one and half years down will I regret It? Yes I may. But that will only be worst feeling if I miss a necryx. And considering I played 1.5 years by then I could complete two lines atleast for 4 dragons and I can live with dumping a 1.5 year old tired dragon to my den. That’s my take on it.

I see your point and it’s valuable. I’m approaching the Sapphire Wall and with that the retirement of my Skarr who’s already overpowered by Kinnarus with Grogg (it’s already heartbreaking because I literally grew up in this game with Skarr). I would be upset with my older self if I just got Platinum stone for him because he’d be useless as soon as I hit Sapphire. I always went for a full Dragon line and I don’t regret it yet, so that’s why I give those advices who proved to work for me. Sure I can make mistakes but I’ll assume them (I got Grogg, but I missed Necryx, Nightmare seasons didn’t appeal me much so I slacked off…)

I don’t know if I’ll be able to complete two lines ever, being only elite and otherwise f2p, because as the game grow they will add more and more tiers… Yet I could do better still with extra activity… We’ll see what I can do this season, I have a little bundle of rubies I saved up just in case… :hugs:

I am trying to see how far i can go next season by saving rubies this season. Lets see how things go.
Maybe I was really extremely active till now, but that can’t be continued for long time as it screws up my balance.
And honestly, with each release of new tier, my heart will start breaking more and more. This will be first new tier after i started playing and I am already thinking of that. :sweat_smile:

I’ve decided to skip divines dragons until I’m in the garnet tier. This season, I claimed the token bonus and Kayla’s first page when she was discounted.

@TheRedDelilah what are your recommendations for the rest of the season sigils? :hugs:

Double sigil weekends: What are my chances?

There will be another rider coming out if you’re interested in that. However, Avyx is actually quite good too.

I doubt I’ll have enough sigils to get garnet or higher evolve stones for a dragon. Chipping away at the sapphire wall and see no point in getting a dragon to have it only get to sapphire.

Till sapphire stone, it costs 13.9k sigils and till garnet stone, it costs 19.1k sigils. Hope you are deciding based on those calculations .

I have 3850 sigils at the moment … so I should have plenty sigils to wonder what to do with at the end of the season. Maybe they will push out some rune branches :thinking:

With harbinger tier coming out during mid season what sense will it make to go for current event drags (which only grow to obsidian tier)?
Even neptus won’t get the new stone as it seems.

Neptus will get new stone, and it was confirmed by PG in some post here. Don’t really have motivation to search and find it for you now, sorry.

Thanks highly appreciated

:heart:️all your posts and info/advice. Thank you for sharing:)