Having configurable ranks or titles is nice in other games I’ve played. This gave teams a lot of leeway to manage people and express some personality.
Some ranks may just be informative or vanity labels. Others you could assign any of the powers currently given officers or other helpful privileges. You could, for example:
- Separate your war officers from your atlas officers
- Grant limited bank withdrawal privileges
- Revoke atlas bookmark or wiki editing rights from probationary members
- Label the team building or breeding guru or flight coach.
- Use bilingual rank names for your foreign language liaisons.
With only fifty people per team I don’t think there’s any need for automated rank assignment beyond setting a default for new recruits.
I’m sure everything is hardcoded around the existing three ranks and we’re unlikely to get these niceties, but it would be useful and fun.