Support relying on wikipedia for answers?

Have to share the laugh I had reading a recent support response I got. Names have been removed to protect the innocent…

Without going into detail as to my reasons for contacting support, the reply I finally got was:

Okay, that’s something, but what exactly is ELO? Googled “ELO game term” and…`

Wikipedia

:joy::joy::joy:

Thankfully, wikipedia provided more information

1 Like

It’s pretty common to use wiki as a reference now, though, better than them pointing to sites that have been outdated for over a year and have incorrect values. :woman_facepalming:

I don’t mind referencing another site, but they took it word for word without any actual elaboration :grin:

Elo is actually the surname of the guy who invented the system. Lots of people mistakenly refer to it in acronym form as ELO, which is…not wrong…if you’re yelling his name :dodo:

In this case, support’s answer wasn’t “wrong” in the literal sense, but they could have done a bit of a better job explaining it. For example: Elo assigns a rating to each participant in a matchup, and calculates a win-loss projection based on the difference in their ratings. After the match resolves, a point rating based on how fair or unfair the match was is taken from the loser goes to the victor, thereby adjusting each player’s elo up or down, but maintaining roughly the same total amount of elo in the population.

If you want to know more, there’s always the wiki :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Oh I know it technically wasn’t wrong, and I’n not knocking them for the reply per se. It is a correct answer. I just chuckled when I did my own investigation and found it taken from wikipedia without any further elaboration. I was like, um okay lol

Thanks for the elaboration though.

1 Like

4 Likes

:rofl: Elo vs medical advice and such, though

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.