The off topic head bashing and pissing contest topic

Do all the fingerpointing, head bashing , blame gaming and pissing contests here please so all other topics can stay “clean”

3 Likes

I blame PG for not making more quality Chunk content even though literally 105% of the player base wants it
:point_down:t2: :point_left:t2:
:point_right:t2: :point_up:t2:

12 Likes

Shouldn’t this be in the “off topic”?
Bashes head

5 Likes

I blame ducks for hoarding all the ducks and leaving none for me

9 Likes

20210912_143257

6 Likes

Let me suggest several popular topics / bingo cards for this thread:

1. The game is dying!
  2. Diamond teams are bad!
    2a. Dread/Dom is the worst!
    2b. Except the gold league pirates, they are the worstest!
    2c. But I actually know team/player X who is even worse!
  3. PG are incompetent, bad, and/or conspiring with Dom!
  4. PG should press that “stop bullying” button already!
    4a. Also, Farmville people should go play Candy Crush!
  5. Safe castles are too safe!
  6. Safe castles are not safe enough!
  7. It is hard to get a castle!
  8. It is hard to keep a castle!
  9. The burden of play is too high!
  10. More rewards for grinders and spenders!
  11. Level playing field for everyone!
  12. Hunters are OP!
  13. Krelos is OP!
  14. Nockmar is OP!
  15. Max towers are OP!
  16. Must redo Atlas without castles!
  17. It sucks to have no castle!
  18. It sucks to hold a castle!
  19. Main game should be deleted, especially event X!
  20. Main game is the only good part, and Atlas spoils it!

That should get the discussion started :sweat_smile:

25 Likes

Solid list - support 100x :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If I drank a shot every time I see one of these in an unrelated thread, I would probably be dead in one day :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Maybe someone invents a safer game with that list :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

yes to all of them

4 Likes

I blame everyone not having an equal mindset and them just bashing on this player and this player cause they don’t play like THEY do which is totally wrong. That and PG not paying attention to EVERYONE. Like literally know one knows how to compromise with each other instead they play the blame game and I’m playing that game right now for disrespecting non-hunter fliers or the other way around.

Also one more thing I don’t really think pirates are bad unless you dismiss the fact that some of these people hog castles. Not all pirates are bad.

5 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

That is like the opposite of a good job just corporate greed :joy::joy::joy:

One of my friends is a developer for IBM.

Told me that 2hrs a day is actual work.

6hrs a day is making the code ridiculously long and convoluted for job preservation.

He was laid off in 2020 and employed again by IBM 6 months later on double the wages because the developers they offshored to couldn’t work out what heck was going on.

Apparently 70% of the code does absolutely nothing useful and is just fluff.

I’ve been a professional software engineer for 22 years now. I haven’t seen a single example of engineers making code hard to understand on purpose for job preservation. Code reviews are a standard part of the development process pretty much everywhere. Code written by one engineer gets reviewed by others before it makes it into the repository. Engineers don’t have the freedom to just write whatever they want and have that code go into production on their own.

I’ve seen long term employees at certain companies get comfortable and lazy where they put in 2 hours of work and read stuff online the rest of the day. That has more to do with company and team culture.

Software jobs in the Bay Area aren’t like that. This is the most competitive place in the world for technology workers. It also has the highest average pay. Engineers have to be excellent at what they do and stay dedicated to working hard just to make it here. Many companies here (not PG) expect regular 50 to 60 hour work weeks with an enormous amount of pressure on everyone to produce results. I’ve worked a lot of long hours myself by choice, because I love this game and want to make it better.

Some people make code hard to understand on purpose, not for a job but as a hobby and a form of art. This kind of code wouldn’t be considered acceptable by any successful software company, but it’s fun if you enjoy that kind of thing. This particular competition is awesome and fun for a certain tiny percentage of engineers.

10 Likes

This is in a small city and on a fairly bespoke peice of software that IBM lease out to vendors with only 2 developers.

UAT is performed by the vendors and it is my understanding that the vendors put in minimal effort and are signing off on the UIX rather than code review before it is pushed to prod.

I certainly wouldn’t be this dodgy :smiley:

Out of interest does PG used scaled agile or waterfall for their development?

If the entire development team is 2 people, they have less of an incentive to follow software development best practices. They can get away with doing things in ways that would never work for larger teams working on larger projects.

2 Likes

He might have been half-joking. Like, 2h to make a working prototype; 6h to handle some edge cases and error conditions, validate the inputs, write the required tests, provide some integration for standard company tools, and maybe yes, refactor it with some enterprise Java OOP patterns that do make it more cryptic to a beginner because they trade simplicity for long term maintainability.

1 Like

Each team decides on their own how to operate, but all the ones I know well use agile. Sometimes a team might really be 2 people working on a game prototype. They decide on their own processes as a team, since less overhead is needed for tiny teams like this. They still follow software development best practices. Their goal is to create something new and popular that will someday require a larger team, so they need to do things right from the beginning.

1 Like

I haven’t seen an example in my career of an engineer spending extra time to make their code hard to understand. I have seen lots of examples (not here) of established engineers getting lazy and putting in 2 hours a day of actual work. Some people get comfortable and lose the drive to keep working hard and growing in their careers. I think that’s less common in the Bay Area since it’s so competitive here.

1 Like