Many of you have asked about what lies ahead for Atlas. We understand that many of you would like more improvements for Atlas delivered more often. It’s also true that during 2020, the work on the map shuffle feature took a lot of resources, and that feature needs more work before it will be ready to release. The good news is that in 2021 more resources are available to work on Atlas, and throughout the year, we will be focused on delivering some long-asked for requests from the community.
For most of this month, all of our resources have been focused on work to reduce lag in Atlas. Some small parts of those improvements have shipped, but we’re aiming for the bulk of that work to be delivered early in the first quarter of 2021. As we’ve mentioned, we’re going to be making incremental changes instead of taking huge swings all at once. This will allow us to ensure we are building on a solid foundation of code, so we won’t experience “rot” in the future.
Changes introduced with the Eclipse season:
- Blockade Times Reduced: This GPF-driven change will be a substantial reduction to blockade times. The goal is to make Atlas more active and fun while still giving attentive gatekeeping a chance to intervene and protect those behind them. We know that this is a significant change and will be monitoring the effects closely. New blockade times are as follows:
- Level 3 Fort: 2.2 minutes
- Level 6 Fort: 3.48 minutes
- Level 9 Fort: 4.74 minutes
- Level 12 Fort: 6 minutes
- Early Quitting Slightly Nerfed: Atlas attacks where the attacker quits between 0% and 70% base destruction have slightly reduced payouts. Attack results where the attacker achieves over 70% base destruction have not been changed.
- 100% Glory Threshold Raised to level 550: We semi-regularly increase this threshold as more powerful dragons and the high-level towers against which they are intended to fight are released. If a player who is high enough level to have 16 or more 112-level towers happens to be on a weak team, we want players with max-tier dragons to still get 100% glory when attacking that player, even if they get far less glory attacking weaker members of the same team.
What’s To Come in Q1 2021
- Lag Reduction: As noted above, this work will ship in stages, and players should see reductions in the amount of lag they experience as each improvement rolls out. We’re going to aim to make as much progress towards improving the experience around lag as we can early in the year.
- Primarch Event: We’re aware that many players have maxed out primarchs and therefore have trouble earning points in this event. We’re looking to either fix or replace this event early next year. Unfortunately a technical issue prevents us from releasing a new primarch tier or any fix until early next year at the earliest. In the meantime, we are working on a temporary way to make scoring in the event a little easier until we can implement a longer term solution.
- More Nuanced Approach to Blockade Reductions: We are going to keep a close watch on the impacts of the reduced blockade times. If needed, we’ll adjust those rules to only use the reduced times for teams that do not attack the castle they are stopped on.
- More Work Against Early Quitting: We’re going to watch the effects of the slight change shipped at the start of the Eclipse season. If needed, we will do more work in this area to distinguish intentional early quitting from more legit fails against very challenging bases.
We’ve seen your inputs on the top-10 features threads and are moving resources to work towards the issues you want to be addressed. We hope the plans we have for Q1 2021 will help pave the way for more improvements to Atlas and a better experience for all of our players. Thank you everyone for being with us on this journey so far, and we hope for great times together in the future!
PGGalileo’s cautionary note: things may change without warning. We know that situation is not ideal.
ALSO: Plat4+ teams are going to be added this season, and in future seasons we will stick to Plat2+ teams (that’s the current plan, subject to change).